Friday, July 20, 2007

The Black Donnellys best viewed on TV and even better on HDTV

I have been privileged to be able to watch The Black Donnellys on HDNet. It was an amazing experience watching the episode entitled "Lies" on an HD TV where it is truly in high definition.

I am more than certain that The Black Donnellys deserves to be watched on television and not via a standard computer monitor. I realized I had missed a lot of details while watching the entire season several times online at NBC.com. The computer monitor does not do the series justice.

In this episode, I noticed that there is usually one object in the scene that is green, whether it is a green couch in the Donnelly's home, the neon clover sign at the Firecracker or even the green cowboy hat with a sequined rim in the Donnelly's room. I'm sure the colors signify nothing more than Irish influence. I also noticed the color purple that a priest wears while Jenny Reilly (Olivia Wilde) is visiting the church. I'm not sure what significance that had, but the color itself is vibrant and contrasts the brown and yellow overtones utilized throughout the series. You'll notice the color again in the episode, "The Black Drop".

I also noticed that the Donnelly's rooms are decorated with license plates and how the numbers and letters stand out. Watching the series in HD, you also notice the typography on the cabs and stores. There is clarity to everything in HD, including the blemishes on an individual's face to the threads of their clothes.

I'm excited and eager to watch the remaining episodes of The Black Donnellys on HDNet. I am even more excited about coveting my copy of The Black Donnellys: The Complete Series DVD when it is released September 4th, so that I can enjoy the intricacies of the series for a lifetime.

No comments: